Chalong Bay (อ่าวฉลอง Ao Chalong) is on the east coast of Phuket.
This is Phuket’s principal boat anchorage and the island’s largest bay, 11 km south of the town. It is picturesque, but not suitable for swimming. Boats can be chartered to go to some small islands south of Phuket. A number of restaurants and bars dot the road leading to the bay.
The centre of Chalong is the Chalong Circle, a roundabout two-thirds of the way from Phuket town to Rawai. Five roads converge here. From here:
- head south to Rawai on Rte 4024
- head west to Kata/Karon on Rte 4028
- NNW to Patong on Chao Fah Tawan Tok Rd
- NNE to Phuket town on Chao Fah Tawan Ok Rd
- east to the Chalong Pier on Sunrise Rd, less than 1 km in length, locus of Chalong’s night life.